Spot Cleaning Rugs July 05 2018
If you are unsure how to proceed with a spill, Kush recommends calling Renaissance Rug Cleaning Inc. t: 503.963.8565
- For liquid spills, start by blotting with a clean white towel.
- Gently remove as much of a spot, or spill as possible with a towel, or vacuum before using cleaning products.
- Do not use over the counter products. Many cleaning products are too aggressive for handmade rugs.
- A mild spot cleaning solution can be made with 1-2 drops of hand dish detergent to a cup of warm water. Blot, never scrub.
- Test all spotting products in a inconspicuous area first.
- Work from the outer edge of the spot towards the center.
- For oil based spots, apply rubbing alcohol to a towel in small amounts and blot the spot.
- Some spots are best handled by a professional; such as ink, paint spills, dried wine, and old pet spots. Traditional hand washing is usually able to address most cleaning dilemmas.